The Power of Cycles by Stephen Cottee
I am indebted to my teacher Paul Tisdell and his Law of Adaptation for inspiring much of this article.
'Rainbow Serpent Dreaming' By Wade Krowella Williams
Our experience of life is measured in cycles. The cycles of the year, of the month, the week, the day, of the in- and the out-breath. Each time the cycle goes around you return to the equivalent point... but have you spiralled up or spiralled down since the previous cycle?
We evolve through the cycles of time. To measure your long term progress over time, you need to compare yourself at the same point in the cycle.
We evolve through the cycles of time. What helps you evolve? New awareness, new knowledge, and new access to internal resources (e.g. resilience). Practice makes perfect. The seeds you plant in this cycle will sprout in a future cycle if you persist in cultivating them. Amma (a contemporary Indian spiritual Master) says that no moment of spiritual practice is wasted - every little drop is gathered deep inside you and eventually makes a difference.
People have always used the cycles of time to enhance their results from spiritual practices. Major annual festivals (eg Easter, Ramadan, Guru Purnima, the Summer Solstice) take advantage of the solar cycle. Full moon meditations ride on the heightened energy of the peak of the lunar cycle. The Sabbath (Sunday in Christianity, Saturday in Judaism, Monday in Enochian Magic) uses a weekly cycle to take advantage of the planetary energies which vary with the days of the week. And, of course, the very earth itself revolves in a daily cycle.
What is it which remains changeless throughout these endless cycles of time? The eternal now, the Self, that which is, consciousness itself. This is the part of you which is already perfect and at one with Life.
Have you ever noticed the magical power of rhythm? One beat is not enough to establish a rhythm. Nor do sporadic, irregular beats create a rhythm you can move in time to. But a regular rhythm repeated over time provides a structure you can dance within. Rhythm over time gathers power and momentum. Something repeated often enough gains a life of its own - for a time, at least.
Now the mind works by habit. Negative habits are destructive, but positive habits which enhance your life can be consciously cultivated. By making efforts in the right direction, over time, and within a structure of rhythmic repetition you can evolve. Once you get in time, once you get in a groove, you can work it. This is why regular practices are so important, and so powerful.
What future are you moving towards with your habits? Are you building a future of chronic disease with a little bit of regular neglect or self-abuse each day or week? Or perhaps you are becoming a little more loving, a little more centred, a little wiser, a little stronger each time the wheel of time turns?
This is the greatest power we have as human beings – the power to evolve and change through the cycles of time via the subtle choices we repeatedly make.
Meditation is one of the most beneficial things you can incorporate into your daily life. Even 2% of your day spent in meditation (28 minutes) will positively transform the other 98% of your day and night. When you practice each day your meditation process gathers momentum and starts to penetrate deeper and deeper into your being. You may or may not be aware of how much good it is doing you at the time, but rest assured the results are continuing to multiply deep inside you, and before long they start to manifest in your life. (Sometimes students report that they didn't think the meditation was doing anything until those around them start asking what they are doing because it is so obvious to everyone around them that they are more peaceful, happier and more patient than ever before.)
That’s why daily meditation works and can literally change your life.
© 2010 The School of Life